Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ready, Set, Worry!

My father's getting his heart reset tomorrow. The cardiologist likened it to turning off a computer, waiting a moment, and then giving it a cold reboot. It's supposed to clear up the irregular heartbeat problems Dad's having.

Wait.

What?

What?

I asked my Dad this past Sunday what exactly is supposed to happen, and here's what he told me:

He's going to be knocked out, put on a respirator, and then the cardiologist and his team will stop my father's heart, wait a moment or two, and then shock it back into starting again.

That? Scares the shit outta me.

It must, because I don't think I've ever sworn on this blog before.

It took a little time to absorb what he was saying and I missed an important detail. My mind was kinda occupied with the stopping Daddy's heart aaaaaahhhhhh part of the conversation, so I couldn't recall the bit where he told me when this was going to happen.

I called my Mom Tuesday about that. I wanted to know exactly when to worry.

She said the 16th, a little before 9 a.m. he'd be prepped and ready to go.

That's tomorrow.

And today? It's started to snow, and it's supposed to continue until sometime Saturday morning. It's a wet, heavy snow, sure to hang on the leaves that haven't detached themselves from their trees yet, which can cause aforementioned trees to come crashing to the ground, dragging power lines in their wakes.

Power they'll be using to stop and then start my Daddy's heart, and to keep him breathing throughout. This didn't occur to me until a few minutes ago. Thanks for that, brain. 'Cause I wasn't worried enough.

I sure hope the hospital has back-up generators.

1 comment:

Hotch Potchery said...

Of course they will have lots and lots of generators. LOTS.

Good thoughts coming your way (and your Dad's) tomorrow morning!