Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Please send good thoughts this way

I noticed last night that the cat seemed to be favoring her right front paw. A very, very, slight limp, so slight in fact that I thought I was imagining it. When I finally got her to let me see the paw, it turns out there an area that's swollen and slightly pink. It looks like she's been chewing on it. It's the same paw the vet used last week to take her blood pressure, and he shaved it a little before he did that. I'm thinking maybe the hair growing in was making her itch, so she started chewing.

At least, that's what I hope it is. Last October her litter mate Samson was put down because of a huge tumor on one of his feet. Oreo, Delilah and Sammy's daddy, has a small tumor on his face (has for a while. Every time I take a picture of him, I edit it out with the "spot-healing" brush in Adobe), and I'm pretty sure he's on his way out. He drools constantly, has stopped grooming, and spends a lot of time yowling and looking a little confused. My mom's sure if she takes him to the vet he'll get put down, and she doesn't want to do that. She says he doesn't look like he's in pain.

So anyway, there's a family history of growths. This thing on Delilah's paw doesn't look like the tumors I've seen on Sam and Oreo, but I'm worrried. It's probably a chewed area that got infected. I figure with this whatever-it-is going on with her kidneys, her immune system might not be optimal and I don't want some infection raging through her system.

The vet's office opens in 20 minutes. I hope I can get an appointment. And I hope it's nothing serious. I tend to catastrophize.

If you could send some good thoughts towards Central Pennsylvania, I'd really appreciate it.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

Lots of good thoughts coming your way. I'd certainly get it checked, but I think your initial impression seems like a good one.

If it turns out to be cancerous, Delilah is quite lucky that its on her foot and not somewhere nearer to her vital organs.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Today's word: Hookshni